Thursday, May 04, 2006

All I remember...

...is that it was 4:00 AM and we were still at Studio 54.

Okay, I'll call that a party.

We started off the night at 9:00 PM at the Foundation Room at the top of the Mandalay. The view, shown below, was awesome.

Unfortunately, I had to miss the Joe Satriani concert at the House of Blues earlier in the evening. Serious bummer. Satriani rocks!

We took over the swanky Buddha and Ganesh rooms at the club and filled the joint with Secret Society members. When we started planning, we figured we might have 50 people show up. By the end of the night, the Foundation Room had given out more than 150 wrist bands and people told us that a bunch of people had been turned away because of the dress code (no sneakers!).

For schwag, we did hats. This ended up being a bit of a problem. Note to self: don't give out hats at a swanky club where the dress code prohibits hats.

One of the funniest moments of the night occurred as Tom Grennan, our VP of engineering, and I were going into the club. We were both carrying 50 hats each from my hotel room up to the club. I was wearing one. We walked up to the bouncer behind the velvet rope at the bottom of the private Foundation Room elevator.

Dave: "We're here for the Vyatta party at the Foundation Room."

Bouncer: "Okay, great. Let me get you guys wristbands. Oh, but you'll need to take off the hat. We have a dress code."

I look at Tom. Tom looks at me. I take off the hat I'm wearing and place it on top of the huge mass of hats that I'm carrying in my arms. The bouncer then lets us through the velvet rope and we go into the elevator. Tom and I start busting up, thinking that there are about to be 100 people up in the club all wearing hats.

After the party ended at the Foundation Room, we checked out Mix in the Mandalay. It wasn't exactly hopping, so Robert suggested we try Studio 54 at the MGM. We piled into a limo and off we went.

Studio 54 is, ahem, interesting. Different crowd. Check out the pictures.

I posted a few of them (the least incriminating ones) at Flickr:

Thanks to everybody who attended this year's Secret Society event. We made a lot of new friends and were able to connect with a bunch of old ones. Here's to next year's party!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home